2007年9月21日金曜日

にばんのポスト- カタカナ しょして いちばんのsemester

みあさんこんにちは。  
カタカナはむずかしいですね。
Sometimes I wish Japan never made contact with the outside world because then katakana would not exist. However, if that were the case then I probably wouldnt be learning Japanese either. So, despite my difficulties with katakana, I have no choice but to soldier on. Hmm, I don't really have tips for memorizing katakana but I assume by this point everyone has no problem writing katakana. The problem for me comes with transcription. Why is catch spelled as kyacchi (キャッチ)? Why is restaurant spelled as resutoran (レストラん) and not resutoranto (レストラント)? What is the meaning of life?

Actually I know the answer to the first two...I'm just trying to show that they are about as hard to understand as the third question. Well, not really but pretty difficult. My plan of action this weekend is to find, read, and transcribe as much katakana as I can. Sato-sensei said if there's anything that's particularly difficult, just try to get used to it. So...I guess my advice is to read, write, speak, and think in katakana.

As for my first semester....I'm not particularly proud of anything except for the fact that I'm not failing anything.
My engineering courses seem like a breeze compared to Japanese. I find that about 90% of the homework I do is Japanese-based. This does not surprise me, as I'm pretty sure learning a foreign language is supposed to be more difficult than physics or math. I'm getting used to the fast pace of college because there is so much more free time compared to high school. Out of all my classes, Japanese is the most difficult. But I love Japanese so no matter how difficult it becomes I will do my best............that was lame.

Anyways random tidbit before I post this entry. Did you know the letter 'w' is the Japanese equivalent of 'LoL'? Apparently, w stands for warau (わらう), which means to laugh in Japanese.

Random Picture of the week:
This is old news but...here is a panda dog in Chengdu, China. Owner has been arrested 36 times because authorities keep thinking he is keeping a panda in captivity.

2 件のコメント:

Sato さんのコメント...

Katakana seems hard for everyone. As you said, try to get used to it by reading, writing many times! Be patient and keep repeating; it will get better!

リン さんのコメント...

I was told by a Japanese friend that using "w" to stand for "lol" makes you look like a "geek" and that it is better to use 笑 (the kanji for "わらう”) But... that is just one person so iono ^^;;
Katakana are rough (I have so much trouble transcribing correctly still!), but I'm sure you can do it ^^b がんばってね!
パンダいぬはかわいいですよね!